Monday, November 24, 2008

Don't eat the yellow snow.

It's almost thanksgiving break.
Thank...goodness. Phew. I need a break from life for a minute! I am ready for a new start!



yes. it snows in my room.



2 more days...

I hope everyone is having a good fall...it's a beautiful time of year.
Unfortunately, I am finding many of my friends having a hard time. As the seasons change, it grows colder. Their hearts grow warmer, but that often has its consequences. People see cold weather and holidays as a way to be with their loved ones and at this age, we seek out someone to keep us warm. Physically and emotionally.
I wish people understood it's so much more than that. It's not just about "having" someone. Sometimes those feelings are fleeting, or maybe they just emerge around this time...either way, it's an unfortunate way to feel.

Getting past this requires, at least, these four things:
1-Patience.
2-Hope.
3-Having appreciation for the things already have.
4-And not allowing yourself to settle for something less than you deserve.

Thanksgiving is an appropriate and convenient way to open up the window of what is to follow because the least you and I can do is try to realize how good we have it and how our complaints are so shallow and weak compared to the real things going on in this world. And honestly, we can truly understand how all of our worries are useless and ridiculous. Not to under-cut anyone's feelings...but step back and seriously think about it. There's so much in this life...so much more than me. Than you. Than our selfish thoughts. Than our stupid lists of gifts. Than our jealousy and sadness.


Don't get me wrong, feelings are valid regardless of where they come from. They are there for a reason and I wish the best to those seeking for something more the next month.

I just hope they look beyond and that their hearts search within themselves because this happiness does not come from another person or an object (ie presents). It comes from being able to extend your love...it need not be romantic. Do something nice for all the people in your life. Expect nothing in return. And don't just reserve these things for this time of year, but strive to be a better person each day. Giving your time and lending an ear to someone is worth much more than anything the dollar/euro/yen/peso/rupee/etc could buy.

Solving the puzzle that is the heart is no easy task, but an arduous quest. Approach it with patience and once again, gratitude for the people that already are in your life, because I promise you that you are not alone.



Good luck and stay warm.

No comments: