What? Christmas isn't made up!
Well, you know, what it's made to be is completely made up. Think about it. Why is it about presents? To be honest, why is it even about fellowship with our family? I know that sounds negative. I mean, we SHOULD appreciate and be with family. But that's really what it's not about. It's not about eating food or giving unnecessary gifts to people.
It's about recognizing the birth of Jesus. The coming of a King. I'd like to think that to honor Jesus and His life, we should do what we can for him. What do we do for other peoples' birthday? We do something nice for them...make or get something for them that they like, eat a meal together, share a laugh...well why is Jesus' birthday any different?
We might not be able to share a meal or a laugh with HIM, but we all know what He wants: peace and care for others and to take care of the widows and the poor. So why not do that?
So why do we make it like this...something it's not?
It's great if people do nice things--volunteer, give things to those less fortunate--but my big question is why do we still have to spend our money on the other crap that we or others don't need just because it's "the holidays"? Why not take ALL of what we would spend, instead of just part, to help those people out? Why do we always need to get something out of it: a gift back from someone, a feeling of approval, maybe someone's attention...
I know we're humans and we search to fit in and have a sense of togetherness with the people we desire...but will we ever step beyond that and put ourselves second to those who REALLY need our help? OUR FULL help, instead of what we just have left over?
I guess that's why I get down this time of year. Everyone else ruins it for me, =P.
I've decided to be more optimistic about the latter half of the "holidays", New Year's Eve, and it is coming up soon. Perhaps it's a good time to decide to make changes. Maybe people mock the idea, but I figure...hey, it's a welcoming opportunity for people to make a positive change in their life. Even if they don't end up committing to it, at least it's an attempt. It is not something that should go unappreciated or overlooked. Let us offer encouragement. And if there is one thing I've learned in my 22 years of life about helping people grow, the least you can do with them is ask them to try.
PEACE.

(nice face, srsly?)

No comments:
Post a Comment